On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Richard Kilpatrick wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >, Richard Atkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
> >If anyone in the UK is thinking about obtaining some of these chips, send
> >me a mail - I'm looking into doing a similar sort of thing for a UK order.
> >A CX5MII/128 with a video chip two generations more advanced would be
> >quite amusing :)
>
> How much are they again?

Something like $17. They do hardware scrolling and unusual YJK modes.

> Anyway, the CX5MII/128 doesn't have enough VRAM to make use of it's
> 9938, let alone a 9958 :) However, I'm interested in one or two perhaps,
> for my potential YIS-805 - a Yamaha MSX2 with music (replacing the
> network module) and painter, in a separate keyboard case, and upgraded
> to MSX2+!

I had a look at that machine on a site somewhere. Wow; nice machine! Do
let us know if you have any luck finding one.

> If you look at the motherboard of your CX5MII, you'll see empty sockets
> on the motherboard (I've just had both mine apart to clean them, and
> straighten the keyboard on one of them, it must have had a weight on it
> once!), I think you should be interested in ic301-308 - these are for
> 64K VRAM. You then replace the two 16K VRAMs on the daughterboard with
> the 41464s. Jipe's instructions are pretty clear, even if the scanned
> tech schematics aren't on the location of 4 of those VRAM chips (most of
> them are under the VRAM board).

I've never had mine open, as I was confused by the lack of screws on the
unit. Anyway, 8 ICs is an unfortunate number - they must be using 4164
DRAMs. Still, with some combination of 4164s and 41464s I'm sure it's
possible to put 128K VRAM into the machine.

Richard