Am Freitag, den 08.11.2013, 11:03 +0100 schrieb Marco Lo Monaco:
> Being in the linear modeling field, I would rather have analized the filter
> in the classic virtual analog way, reaching an s-domain transfer function
> which has the main advantage that is ready to many discretization
> techniques: bilinear (trapezoidal), euler back/fwd, but also multi step like
> AdamsMoulton etc. Once you have the s-domain TF you just need to push in s
> the correct formula involving z and simplify the new H(z) which is read to
> be implemented in DF1/2.

I think a crucial point is that besides replicating steady state
response of your analog system, you also want to preserve the
time-varying behavior (modulating cutoff frequency) in digital domain.
To achieve the latter, your digital system must use a state space
representation equivalent to the original circuit, or, how Vadim puts
it, "preserve the topology". By starting from an s-TF, however, all this
information is lost. This is in particular visible from the fact that
implementing different direct forms yields different modulation
behavior.

BTW, in case you all aren't aware: a work probably relevant to this
discussion is the thesis of David Yeh found here:

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~dtyeh/papers/pubs.html

When digging through it, in particular the so-called "DK method", you
will find many familiar concepts incorporated in a more systematic and
general way of discretizing circuits, including nonlinear ones. Can't
say how novel all this really is, still it's an interesting read anyway.

Dominique