Brandon Ibach [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> > From: dannyman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > 2) You can configure it without reading the man page ... errr, I mean, going
> > to the web site, errr, I mean finding the manual, err, I mean, reading the
> > whole fucking manual to find the keyword you want ... errr, I mean, going to
> > the mailing list for an explanation or finding an excellent .muttrc from
> > someone else ...
>
>    A reasonable complaint, for someone just wanting to get into it
> quickly.  A good template .muttrc with comments on each variable is a
> good way to go, but something a little better couldn't hurt.  Perhaps
> someone would be interested in putting together a sort of "Mutt
> configuration tool" which presents all the options through a series of
> menus, similar to the menu-config tool for Linux kernels (maybe even
> using the same "dialog" package, or something like it).  Then we'd
> just need to make sure to update the file which drives this system
> when options are added, changed, obsoleted, etc.

I'm curious what benefit you think there is in a menu system over just a
well-annotated .muttrc?  Presumably what a menu system would do is let you
see what each variable does (theoretically using the manual entry for it so
we stay consistent) and then let you set the value you want.  A .muttrc
annotated with the manual entries does the same thing and is
viewable/useful on any platform that has any text editor.  If you want to
group options together in some way to make it easier to find what you're
looking for you can do it just as well in a text file as with menus, IMHO.
But maybe I'm missing something.

Of course, right now we have neither, really.  I keep my .muttrc annotated
with the manual info, but at the moment it's for .95i.

Anyway, some people in this thread have mentioned it being helpful to see
good sample .muttrcs, so I'll plug the web site:
http://www.mutt.org/links.html#config has links to ~10 different .muttrcs.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/

PGP signature