On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 22:57:14 +0300, Mikko Hänninen wrote:

> I don't know the exact details (haven't looked at the source), but I
> would guess that the way Mutt starts an external program is with the
> system() sytem-function-call.

Mutt has its own implementaion of system() to have better control
on signal handling and redirection. It uses execl() like this to
execute a program:

   execl (EXECSHELL, "sh", "-c", cmd, NULL);

EXECSHELL can be set with the configure script, and the compiled-in
value can be seen with "mutt -v". I advise to check this as a bad
value for EXECSHELL can prevent Mutt from executing any external
program.

--
Byrial
http://home.worldonline.dk/~byrial/