Brian --

...and then Brian Clark said...
% OK guys and gals, I almost didn't post this for fear I missed something
% in the pound of documentation I've read <g>, but here goes.

At least you've read some.  We all thank you :-)

%
% I'm using GnuPG and some recipients' clients do not have the capability
% to decipher PGP/MIME (see: Windows; TheBat!).

<ultimate_flame_war>Screw 'em!</ultimate_flame_war>

%
% * I've set up my procmail rules to add the appropriate headers so that
%   mutt will allow me to decrypt messages and verfy signatures,
%   regardless of their type. This is working perfectly.

Great!  I find that more convenient than the new esc-P function, lovely
though it is to have that (for when I go back to my local copy of a
message that I sent out to such a user).

%
% * I've managed to be able to clear sign outbound messages using:
%   macro compose \Cp "Fgpg --clearsign\ny" "PGP clearsign"
%   (by the way, binding and using ^s causes mutt to freeze, forcing me
%   to kill it. Haven't the slightest clue why.)
%   The signing works OK as well.

Ick.  That is one way to do it, and is unfortunately necessary when using
a charset other than us-ascii and perhaps when attaching a file
(but that bit is untested), but doing it within mutt would be so much
nicer.

I have had wonderful success with the stock $pgp_create_traditional and
the patch-supplied $pgp_outlook_compat settings; when both are "yes",
even LookOut! users can read and reply to my signed mail.

%
% Now, I keep seeing references to a pgp-menu function in various HOW-TO
% texts. According to my mutt, there is no such thing. I can't seem to
% find decent newbie intructions on how to encrypt messages without using
% PGP/MIME (or, prompting me for a choice, for example).

You initiate a message, supply your recipient and subject information,
edit it, and finish your composition.  You are then dropped into the
compose menu, where you can send, edit, attach, or make pgp changes
(or execute your macro from above).  When you hit 'p' from there,
you enter the pgp menu; you can, IIRC, sign, sign as, encrypt, both,
or forget it and send cleartext.

%
% I'm using vim for my editor, and I can't seem to figure out how to
% encrypt (Non-PGP/MIME) only the body of the message and be able to
% pick a recipient's key to encrypt to.

I'd do it from mutt rather than vim; mutt knows how to pass the recipient
info off.

%
% I'm basically looking for tips/suggestions to make my life easier,
% if someone has any to offer.

You might try the archives, but signing and encryption come up a lot.  I
haven't checked, but a query for "signing outlook" might be sufficient.

%
% --
%  -Brian Clark

HTH & HAND