At 06:03 AM 12/6/2001 -0500, David T-G wrote:
>% Flamewars aside, if you ever have to use Windows, TheBat! is actually an
>% exceptional MUA. (unless one wanted to use Mutt with Cygwin(sp?).)
>
>So I hear.  I'd like to poke at it, because I know some folks who could
>probably use a Good Mail Program but are just stuck in the Windows world.
>I haven't gotten around to it, though.

I'm I am one of those people who are stuck in Windows world and could use a
good mail program.  I'm stuck in the Windows world because I must use
speech recognition thanks to too many hours on the keyboard nuking my
hands/arms.  All my mail is stored in IMAP folders (over 230) with about 50
active folders.  The rest are archival information.

I'm looking at mutt to see if it can potentially be a replacement for
Eudora (which sucks horribly but sucks far less than any other mail client
I've tried).

One of the things I would need to do with mutt is disable all of the
keystroke activated commands and replace it with a gateway to my speech
recognition environment (NaturallySpeaking).  Misrecognitions do horrible
things with keystroke driven user interfaces.  Imagine how usable mutt
would be if you had someone randomly typing words instead of the command
you wanted.

And yes, I really want us to run on a Windows environment because I want to
integrate a mailer into my speech recognition environment, drive browsers,
and work with local files no matter where I take my laptop with or without
net connection.

>% there are a ton of people out there unfamiliar with PGP/MIME. That makes
>
>Yep.  That's true.  Care to take up the Cause Of Spreading The Word?

the problem with the PGP world is that it's overly complicated and has
absolutely horrible human factors problem.  I'm working on an antispam
system called camram ( http://harvee.billerica.ma.us/~esj/camram.html) and
its based on proof of work postage stamps and opportunistic digital
signatures.  We've created a framework where once you have established
communication with someone with e-mail + proof of work postage stamp, you
have created an opportunity for exchanging public keys automatically.  Once
you have exchange those keys you then create an opportunity for automatic
signing/encryption.  Human factors requires that keys be unprotected (no
pass phrase) which is perfectly OK for envelope like protection.  It's also
important for people like myself because it hurts to type a pass phrase and
I haven't gotten around to creating a pass phrase/password management
vocabulary for NaturallySpeaking.  I'm not really comfortable with plain
text passwords and I'm not sure how I can protect them otherwise.

One of the important side effects of this technique is that it makes
encryption of e-mail ordinary, everyday, and very non scary for the naive
computer user.  It also creates an opportunity for someone to say "if I
want to make this more secure, how can I do it?"  which is the clue that
they are ready to hear more information and take the right steps.

I'm looking for people to write code (since I can't anymore) and help me
with prototyping the camram techniques.  Realistically, we would end up
with plug-ins for Eudora and Outlook and a toolkit for other e-mail clients
to use.  Ideally, camram would be integrated into an e-mail client but
that's a long-term goal.

--- eric