On Feb 28, 2011, at 8:15 AM, Derek Martin wrote:

>>> Not if you run it on your IMAP server.
>>
>> but it still puts all your mail into a single mail box, which entirely
>> defeats
>> the purpose of a unified inbox.
>
> I don't see that at all...  The purpose of having a unified inbox is
> to present all of your new mail to you simultaneously.  This does
> exactly that.

Actually, a "unified inbox" (as provided by Apple Mail.app or Postbox) presents
all my new mail in one view, however, the mail actually remains in separate
inboxes behind the scenes. A column in the view tells me where the mail
actually resides. That way, mail can remain in physically separate
accounts/inboxes, but can be seen in one view.

Postbox takes this a bit further by allowing the user to create arbitrary
number of groups -- so I could see inbox1 and inbox2 in a virtual view called
"work" and inbox3 and inbox4 in a virtual view called "gambling," if I so
wanted.

> lacking in some way or other.  Unified inbox is something I
> specifically DO NOT want, as it removes a certain amount of context
> from the mail-handling process for me.
>
> ..

As noted above, the context is provided by a column in the view. My unified
inbox in Apple Mail looks like so --

Subject                   Date Recd  Mailbox
========================= ========== =================
Derek Martin              8:18 AM    Inbox - punk.kish
Re: unified inbox
Someone Else              7:14 AM    Inbox - punkish
Re: logging in BC makes..

I hope the above doesn't come out garbled. In the view above, I can see emails
from two inboxes (even as they remain in their respected inboxes). In addition,
since 2 lines are devoted to each mail, I can see the subject below the
sender's name. Actually, Sparrow, a new, Gmail-specific IMAP only client (soon
to expand to other IMAPs also) even shows the first couple of lines from the
message text as well. Rather useful.

Additional Note:
================

Part of the issue is that I haven't really understood how Mutt works. In true
Unix philosophy, mutt is (was) designed to do only one thing (reading and
replying to my mail), while other tools did other things. More and more, tools
are doing one "conceptual" thing (working with my mail) even though behind the
scenes it is doing many things. The user, me, is not worrying about what is
happening behind the scenes. More and more programs don't even require the user
to interact with the physical location and storage of the content (iPhoto,
Mail, and more programs in the new iOS paradigm). You open the program and your
content appears there.

Even if mutt works with the IMAP server, my mail is actually "stored" (cached)
in my mutt cache location. I would like that to continue, particularly since I
don't trust any IMAP servers (Google could vanish tomorrow -- in fact, just
yesterday there was a report of some users finding their emails had vanished --
Google was working on fixing it), but I also like the ubiquitous availability
of IMAP. The solution, for me, is to use IMAP, but to sync all my email
locally, so I can have the best of both worlds.

Will get there soon hopefully.

Thanks all.

Puneet.