On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 12:39:42PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:

I can't say I know how various MTAs handle lines longer than 998 characters, but I would expect at least a subset would either truncate them or reject your message... or at least that it would be wise to assume so.

Mail readers that generate long-line paragraph-style text, encode it with quoted-printable, so they can insert QP soft line breaks to stay under 998 characters. Usually they insert those soft line breaks about every 70-80 characters, sometimes rigidly at some exact number, even in the middle of a word. The user doesn't see that, of course.

My preferred solution, then, has been to stick with following the standards...

The corporate behemoths in this field -- Microsoft, Apple, Google -- have invented their own standard, and don't think there are enough of us to care about. They have 3 or 4 billion users.