fwiw and I really don't want to add any confusion to this thread but I
cannot make mine break

I have been playing with this since yesterday trying to replicate what is
happening and I cannot.  All parts of this, parent, child, notes,
re-occurence, times, everything sync flawlessly and without conflicts of
any type and all notes are intact.  no matter which direction I start the
sync or which direction I make changes.

very strange. wish I could help