I've been trying for years, but much as I love MLO, the one thing I have
trouble doing is scheduling my tasks.

I know that GTD preaches against this, and I know that many productivity
coaches also advise against scheduling tasks. I admit that I'm still
terrible at completing a task in the calendar even if I do schedule it, but
at least it's there, and it's a motivator.

There are a few things that keep failing me on MLO / GTD that scheduling
would help:
- Planning - I can't plan a series of tasks for a due date - eg. report due
end of week, and five subtasks across the week.
- Overbooking - every time I get an organisational spurt, I start planning
out several goals for the week - invariably I overbook myself, fail to
complete each day, become demoralised, and just fall further back as the
week progresses
- Reporting - If someone asks me "what are you doing on Thursday", GTD (and
MLO) doesn't give me visibility that I'll be really busy then, because I
have deliverables on Friday. There's just a collection of tasks between now
and then, with no depiction of how to space them out
- Modifying dates - Probably the reason for not scheduling tasks, is that
you then spend hours re-scheduling them! It's clunky in almost every to-do
app - manually changing a date/time without being able to see the calendar
underneath it. It should really be drag'n'drop.

What I would really like, is to be able to *have scheduled tasks appear in
my calendar!*
More than that - I would like to be able to *drag'n'drop* them around in my
calendar!

So the flow would go something like this (and in *Gqueues*, below, it does):
- I look at my calendar for the week in my native calendar application (I
use MacOS ical / IOS Calendar)
- On it, in a different colour (different Google sub-calendar, for
example), are some tasks I scheduled for a deliverable for end of month
- I check my next 2-3 days, and drag them around to better fit any new
meetings.
- The changes are synced back to MLO, and I check in the main projects to
see what that does to the due dates for each
- I'm looking overbooked, so I postpone an internal project to next week,
and advise my boss
- As the day goes on, I drag, extend, etc. these scheduled tasks in ical or
calendar as things change
- As always, if my boss asks me for the forecast on a project, I can look
at the project view and see all the dates as I currently have them

The trick is syncing to the native calendar app. Rather than spend huge
effort designing a calendar UI, interaction, etc. - why not just design an
API that talks to CalDAV, iCal, etc which is two-way?

I've found three apps that do this so far:

- Asana <https://asana.com/guide/help/views/calendar> - Big Heavyweight,
but not great in this feature.  Tasks can only be given a date, not a time,
so they appear as 'all day'. The ICS feed to iCAL is one way, so you can
view tasks in a particular day, but not move them around - you have to go
back to Asana for that. But they do have their own calendar view, where you
can drag/drop.
- Todoist
<https://support.todoist.com/hc/en-us/articles/208789889-Using-Todoist-with-your-Calendar>

- Also apparently claim to have implemented calendar view and two-way sync
in the calendar. I've not tested it yet. The two-way sync only works with
Google Calendar
<https://support.todoist.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003128085\>, for others
it's one-way
- Gqueues <https://www.gqueues.com/help/calendarIntegration> - This is the
one I'm currently testing. Again, it does permit native two-way sync in
iCal, and it's very quick as well.

I've been using GQueues, and the UX is as I'd like. Whether it actually
helps me meet deadlines, is something I'm currently testing.

But - MLO is so good in so many other ways. I would really like to have
this feature in MLO - perhaps as a checkbox on a task for 'schedule task',
to flag that it should sync to the calendar. MLO already has cloud sync, so
perhaps a calendar sync could be built as an API from it?

Damo

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/68e74648-8336-4cdf-8fff-907d73ba4c4a%40googlegroups.com.