Hello all,

My name is Vikram Vaswani, and I'm currently working on the outline for a
MySQL reference book. This is supposed to be a comprehensive reference to
MySQL 4, covering all aspects of the software, including the new
transaction/subquery features.

I have put together a draft table of contents (TOC), but am a little
hesitant about some aspects of it. I have a nagging feeling that I'm
missing out on a lot of things here, and also that it might bs structured
better. Specifically, I was hoping that this list would help me in
evaluating the structure and content of Section 2 below.

Since I'm not that experienced with MySQL, I thought I'd open this up to
the list and see if you guys could help me figure out what's bugging me :)
I'd appreciate as much feedback as possible, since my aim here is to
produce something that would hopefully be useful to you in your usage of
MySQL (and also stand out from the crowd of other MySQL books in the market)

Thanks! I look forward to hearing back.

Vikram Vaswani

--
TOC

Section 1: Installation

1.Introduction to MySQL
What is MySQL?
History
Features
Future development

2. Installing
Linux
Windows

Section 2: Usage

3.Introduction to Databases and SQL
What is SQL?
SQL variants
SQL features
SQL syntax
A sample SQL session

4.MySQL Data Types
Basic data types
        String and string variants
        Integer and integer variants
        Date and time types
        Boolean types
        Null type
Advanced data types
        Enum (choice) type
        Binary object type

5.MySQL Syntax (Working With Databases) - CREATE, DROP, SHOW
Understanding how databases are stored on the file system
Creating a database
Viewing available databases
Deleting a database

Do I need to add info on the InnoDB/Berkelet/MyISAM types here? And
how/when to select each?

6.MySQL Syntax (Working With Tables) - DESCRIBE, SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE,
DELETE, APPEND, joins
Understanding how tables are stored on the file system
MySQL table types
Creating a table
Viewing available tables
Creating table columns
Inserting records
Viewing table records
Editing (updating) table records
Joining tables
Erasing records
Altering columns
Erasing columns
Erasing tables

What have I missed here?

7.MySQL Syntax (Working With Tables - Advanced) - Indices, transactions and
sub-queries
Advanced joins
Sub-queries
Indices
Transactions
Stored procedures

Do you think I need a separate chapter for each of the above?

What have I missed here?

Section 3: Administration

Section 4: Development
Luke: "I don't believe it!"