From: NANOG <nanog-boun...@nanog.org> on behalf of Constantine A. Murenin
<muren...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:54 AM
To: Hiers, David
Cc: nanog@nanog.org
Subject: Re: US/Canada International border concerns for routing

On 20/07/2017, Hiers, David <david.hi...@cdk.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> We're looking to extend some services into Canada.  While our lawyers dig
> into it, I thought that I'd ask the hive mind about border restrictions.
>
> For traffic routing, is anyone constraining cross-border routing between
> Canada and the US?  IOW, if you are routing from Toronto to Montreal, do you
> have to guarantee that the path cannot go through, say, Syracuse, New York?

Guarantee to whom?

Back a few years ago when I looked into it, most of the traffic within
Canada went through the US, e.g., since Bell didn't want to peer with
anyone in Canada, you'd go something like YYZ - ORD - YYZ, clearly
visible through the traceroute.

Possibly somewhat better nowadays — there's been quite a few new IX
POPs that popped up — but I doubt the scenario is a thing of the past.

P.S.  Just for the giggles — checked http://lg.he.net/ routing from
Looking Glass - Hurricane Electric (AS6939)<http://lg.he.net/>
lg.he.net
Hurricane Electric (AS6939) Network Looking Glass

core1.tor1.he.net to www.bell.ca<http://www.bell.ca> — still goes through
Chicago, to
[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Bell_logo.svg/120px-Bell_logo.svg.png]<http://www.bell.ca/>

Bell Canada - Mobile phones, TV, Internet and Home phone
...<http://www.bell.ca/>
www.bell.ca
Bell is Canada's largest telecommunications company, providing Mobile phone,
TV, high speed and wireless Internet, and residential Home phone services.

Montreal, from Toronto. :-)  Going straight to Montreal,
core1.ymq1.he.net, will route you to www.bell.ca<http://www.bell.ca> (still in
Montreal)
[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Bell_logo.svg/120px-Bell_logo.svg.png]<http://www.bell.ca/>

Bell Canada - Mobile phones, TV, Internet and Home phone
...<http://www.bell.ca/>
www.bell.ca
Bell is Canada's largest telecommunications company, providing Mobile phone,
TV, high speed and wireless Internet, and residential Home phone services.

through the peering at NYC.

P.P.S.  In other words — if someone wants guarantees, they better
explicitly ask you for it.

Cheers,
Constantine.
http://cm.su/
cm.su. — Constantine Murenin is Super User<http://cm.su/>
cm.su
Constantine Murenin is Super User Yes, it's true! Constantine.SU; BXR.SU;
mdoc.su; nginx.conf 2016; GitHub; StackOverflow © 2016 Constantine A. Murenin
(cnst)