From: NANOG <nanog-boun...@nanog.org> on behalf of Keenan Tims
<kt...@stargate.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:48 AM
To: nanog@nanog.org
Subject: Re: US/Canada International border concerns for routing

On 2017-08-08 17:10, Bill Woodcock wrote:
> No.  In fact, Bell Canada / Bell Aliant and Telus guarantee that you_will_
> go through Chicago, Seattle, New York, or Ashburn, since none of them peer
> anywhere in Canada at all.

The major national networks (Bell, Rogers, Telus, Shaw, Zayo/Allstream)
do peer with each other and some other large / old Canadian networks
(e.g. MTS, SaskTel, Peer1) within Canada. While they do practice peering
protectionism and only purchase transit out of country, the situation is
not *quite* so bad that all traffic round-trips through the US.

Of course if neither side of the conversation has at least one of those
major networks as a transit upstream - which is most of the eyeballs and
most of the important Canadian content - you'll see that hop through
Chicago or Seattle (or worse). Which is exactly the way they like it.

Keenan