There is already an Open Source ribbon control that models the Microsoft
Ribbon - it's in the Flamingo UI Library:
https://github.com/kirill-grouchnikov/radiance

It's Swing only, but some of the logic that controls how items/panels are
hidden as the panel resizes may be of value, see some screenshots here:
https://blog.frankel.ch/flamingo-tutorial/

Ian

Ian Mayo
Deep Blue C Technology Ltd