Yes I know, I was just thinking of a way to make it portable without
carrying a big battery. You could put reed switches inside the chess pieces
and mount small magnets underneath each square of the chess board. That way
they will also turn off when you lift them or put them aside.

But however you look at it, the chess pieces will obviously become quite a
bit bigger so that will probably take away the charm they have at the
moment.

Michel