It sometimes pays off to check easy to get parts for something that may
just do the job for you rather than winding all the coils yourself. You
could check miniature solenoids or things like that, take them apart and
see if you can get it working with the coils from the solenoids.

Yeah, if your total circuit draws about 25W it will take a bit more effort
to make it battery powered. An alternative is to have chess pieces with
build-in rechargeable batteries. You could then charge the batteries
through your induction system. Maybe it is possible  to make a "charge
plate" with say 4 or 5 coils that charges the 32 chess pieces.

Michel