If You concider blanking the tubes, that includes PWM for intensity
control, by the cathode drivers then use something that can take the whole
anode voltage. I.e. MPSA42. Period.

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mcamafia.de%2Fnixie%2Fimages%2Fnix_th01.jpg&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHS_0Tt0YrsgRmQN9ev78JuwS6WOQ>

If not You can clamp the voltage to a lower level and use lower rated
transistors. The clamp must be there, transistors degrade from breakdown
even if they don't may fail immediately when the current is limited. The
needed clamp voltage minimum level can sometimes be found in the tubes
datasheet. Look for "selection voltage".

The antique 74141/7441/K155ID1 are such devices. The western parts have a
60-something clamping voltage, the soviet versions about 100V. Those are
good for any tubes. Unfortunately they are power hungry at about 25mA,
otherwise they are a good choise. The K155ID1 use to be readily available
at eBay.

Some tubes have very low selection voltages. I have some recollection of
ZM1000 to be such a device.

I also remember having seen some clock built with 40?? CMOS at 15V driving
nixies directly. The protection diodes to Vdd was used for clamping. That's
a bad pracice that could possibly damage the devices even if Vdd is safely
held down by some means to ensure it won't rise.