MCUs? Libraries? And I felt really bad about using a semiconductor
rectifier in my neon light, all tube digital clock (non-nixie).
http://selectric.org/tubeclock/clock2018.jpg  Yet I had no qualms about
using old TTL chips in my cigar box clock.
http://selectric.org/nixie/cigar2.jpg

As far as what processor to use in "modern" Nixie projects ...I expect the
best one to use, is the one you either know how to use, or want to learn
how to use.

One day, I may figure out how to do something with a microcontroller.
Meanwhile, I'll enjoy what others do, using whatever darn platform they
want to use.