Mark,

How do I load audio onto these and program the macros? i.e. what hardware do I 
need? It seems like they are programmed using SPI via the nuvoton USB dongle, 
is that correct?

The most likely other alternative I would go for would be some variation of 
this 
https://circuitdigest.com/microcontroller-projects/arduino-audio-music-player 
though I would want avoid using a SD card module and build it directly on to my 
circuit board instead.

I will probably try both.

- Paul

From: Mark Moulding
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2018 6:58 PM
To: neonixie-l
Subject: [neonixie-l] Re: Adding audio clips to a clock...

I've used the ISD chips quite a bit, including building them into products, and 
I've generally had very good experiences with them.  They've gotten 
considerably cheaper over the years, and they're available in more high-volume 
packages than they used to be, but they're still fundamentally the same chip.

Sure, if I wanted to have a long recording time, or DC-quality audio, I'd go 
for a flash-based digital solution.  But for things like clock chimes in Nixie 
clocks (short duration, limited frequency response that actually can make the 
chime sound better, and very limited production quantities), they're a really 
good fit.  There's essentially no programming needed to use them, and although 
I now have a semi-permanent breadboard jig to load the audio, for a long time I 
just used a few clip leads.  So far, I've noticed no sound degradation even in 
devices that are nearly 20 years old, which tends to support their claimed 
100-year retention time.
~~
Mark Moulding

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google 
Groups "neonixie-l" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/neonixie-l/Ju76VE6J3KI/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to 
[email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web, visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/ad6480e1-0216-49af-a696-00561fba762c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"neonixie-l" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web, visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/5bb0355e.1c69fb81.d0de0.4c58%40mx.google.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to