On Dec 27, 2010, at 12:12 PM, Wes Hardaker <harda...@users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:

> BF> One proposal for an addition could be regressions from the previous
> BF> major release. I upgraded our system from 5.5 to 5.6 and found at
> BF> least 3 regressions (tcpConnTable, replies on multihomed hosts (i.e.,
> BF> routers) not using the routing table, now this.) If regressions are
> BF> not treated seriously, it makes it hard for those of us who ship
> BF> net-snmp in our products to want to try new versions.
>
> Well...  this has a been a long standing subject of debate.  There are
> some tricky issues involved with regression tests

Whether or not regression testing is feasible is a different issue than whether
a regression is considered to be a ship-stopper. I'll admit to having muddied
the waters by griping about the existence of regressions (which can only be
found by testing or deploying).  (As an aside, we only found the agentx bug
after deploying a box with a new image in our own network, with cacti and
observium talking to it, and someone observant wondered why we got a log
message about reconnecting to the master agent every few days...)

Independent of whether or not it's easy to perform regression testing, I think
it's fair to consider an identified regression with a straightforward patch a
stop-ship issue. (I've qualified my criteria further here so that it's clear
that, e.g., the multihomed reply regression doesn't count as stop-ship since
although there's a potential fix, we're waiting to hear back from Jan about
whether my fix breaks his case).

  Bill