On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Alan Sondheim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Announcement: That if you haven't been to the Exhibition, The Accidental
> Artist, at Second Life, do so now! For once the materials have been pushed to
> the limit; what you see, experience, could not exist otherwise, i.e. in the
> physical world; these objects are untoward, wayward, and amazing; this is the
> result of complex building upon simple borrowed scripts and real- world
> hypnagogic imagery.

I visited this. It was amazing. It's the best virtual environment I've
seen since Tracey Matthieson's VRML work in the late 90s (I'm biased
there though ;-) ).

If you aren't a member of Second Life, it's worth getting a free
membership to see this.

One of the things that struck me is Second Life lacks the feeling that
VRML gave you and that using game engines (like Igloo do) gives you
that the environment you are in is a complete world or universe . This
can be very important for framing the experience of art. Second Life
is obviously meant to be a single-world social setting, and I found
the knowledge that I could drift out of the gallery and into a mall
framed the experience differently from the way that knowledge that I
could drift out into the infinite blackness outside the world would
have. I think that OpenSim-based art projects will restore this.

- Rob.