It's an interesting point Paul. In the UK we have funded arts research
through the AHRC.

I don't believe that academic research does greatly compromise
creativity or art making. Certainly not in my experience and I've
received a couple of AHRC grants. In fact this money has enabled me to
pursue projects that would have been impossible to fund and produce from
other sources. The money is significantly more than you'd normally
receive from the UK Arts Council for example (who have their own agendas
that you have to meet).

 To me it's not possible to talk of an unbridled creativity as separate
from the social and economic forces that surround it. Economic forces
distort practice whether it's market mechanisms or government funding.
When I was a painter in the late 80s and early 90s my gallery used to
lean on me to produce certain kinds of work that they knew they could sell.

Research council funding in the UK (IMHO) has produced a huge boost in
the amount of work being made, formal events (conferences etc.) and the
quality of discourse around contemporary art. For me that's a huge plus.

Sure there are research agendas built into these grants - many of them
urgent - like climate change that need addressing. Any artist worth
their salt should be able to work with, against, around and through these.

best wishes

Tom Corby