...and indicative of how history repeats itself. I am sure that (whilst most,
if not all, of us on this list are to the left) there are mixed opinions over
what has happened in Libya and what should be done (for example) in Syria or
Palestine or, for that matter, how we should handle the current sovereign debt
crisis. In the 1990's emotions ran high over what happened as Yugoslavia broke
up. Sometimes, even when you didn't seek it, you ended up on one side or
another. I supported Bosnia's bid for freedom and got involved in initiatives
there, as well as helping out refugees in the UK. I also chose to show my work
in Slovenia and Croatia during the period of the Balkan wars, again because I
supported their independence. However, I doubt I'd have worked in Serbia during
that period (I've shown work there since 2000). Some people had an issue with
that at that time, including friends. Some probably still would.

I was in Zagreb a few weeks ago and was struck how that conflict is still raw
and live. However, the big debate was not about the war but about whether
Croatia should join the EU. Some people I spoke with said they would like to
see the old Yugoslavia back and consider Serbia as their natural partner (and
the EU, dominated by Germany, as their foe). I know the history there is
extremely complex. We have (since the 19th Century) the English verb
"Balkanise" (to fragment and engender conflict in something), indicating that
this is not a recent phenomenon. The word has its roots in the conflict between
the Ottomans and Austro-Hungarians and thus, in a way, the situation goes back
to the division of the Roman Empire into Eastern and Western zones. That is
getting on for two millennia ago. That's a lot of baggage.

best

Simon

Simon Biggs | si...@littlepig.org.uk | www.littlepig.org.uk

s.bi...@ed.ac.uk | Edinburgh College of Art | University of Edinburgh