David S. Miller a écrit :
I agree with the analysis, but I truly hate knobs.  Every new
one we add means it's even more true that you need to be a wizard
to get a Linux box performing optimally.

[rant mode]
Well, I suspect this is the reason why various hash tables (IP route cache, TCP established, TimeWait, bind) are sized as if all 4GB machines were meant to open 500.000 sockets at once...
[/rant mode]

I personally find ethtool the perfect 'wizard tool' and find it more usable than various kernel line command knobs (rhash_entries=XXXX thash_entries=XXXX), mainly because a machine reboot is quite rude, isnt it ?

And yes, you need some basic wizard to optimize a linux machine, since the defaults parameters are OK for 99.9 % of the setups :)

Eric