On Fri, 2005-02-12 at 16:53 -0800, Ronciak, John wrote:
> > In this combination of hardware and in this forwarding test
> > copybreak is bad but prefetching helps.
> >
> > e1000 vanilla                                       1150 kpps
> > e1000 6.2.15                                        1084
> > e1000 6.2.15 copybreak disabled                     1216
> > e1000 6.2.15 copybreak disabled and no rx prefetch  1097
> >
> This is what we are seeing as well.  The copybreak performance makes
> sense since every packet in this test would be copied increasing the CPU
> to probably where it's pegged (that's what we see).

Ok, goody. But copybreak seems to help in some cases? I think Bothe
Robert and I at some point gave up on the value of copybreak in our
workloads.

> The prefetching
> does help in almost of cases we've run and we have not seen the prefetch
> hurt anywhere.
>
> So we still need to see a case where performance is hurt by the
> prefetching.  We have some data coming from another group here at Intel
> next week which we'll share once we have it which also shows the
> performance gains with prefetching.

you probably wont notice any issues with "newer" hardware - where for
example one would put a 10Gige card.

Do you guys have access to any hardware that is "older". Pick something
~3 years old with slower RAM and small caches.

cheers,
jamal