On Tue, 2005-06-12 at 16:55 +0100, Robert Olsson wrote:
> Ronciak, John writes:
>
>  > So we still need to see a case where performance is hurt by the
>  > prefetching.  We have some data coming from another group here at Intel
>  > next week which we'll share once we have it which also shows the
>  > performance gains with prefetching.
>
> Hello!
>
> Well here is another small test with prefetching in 6.2.15. Workload is
> still forwarding but now forcing both hash spinning, FIB lookups and GC
> to run as 32k concurrent flows at 10 packets each are injected. Routing
> table 123 kroutes 64 byte pkts. Dual Opteron 1.6 GHz with dual 82546GB
> at 100 resp. 133 MHz. Aggergated performance from both CPU's.
>
> 0 prefetch 756 kpps
> 1 prefetch 805 kpps (first prefetch only)
> 2 prefetch 821 kpps (first two)
> 5 prefetch 803 kpps (all)
>
> As seen this indicates an optimum with the two first prefetches in ths
> setup. Seems I should have tested 3 and 4 as well...

Nice work Robert!
I am going to try and validate your results as well on one of my newer
systems.

cheers,
jamal

PS:- to Grant: as i found out, the case #3 of issuing a prefetch that is
late depends on the architecture. On ARM a pre-load for example is a
"hint" that the referenced address loading is needed. Therefore the core
system will remember.