On 2 Apr, Jim Nagel wrote in message
    <0b6bb10151....@nails.ukonline.co.uk>:

> if you mean that straightforward copying (Ctrl-C) of a bit of text from
> Impression -- which happens to be a URL -- and pasting (Ctrl-V) it into
> Netsurf's URL bar works for you, then maybe we should compare versions of
> OS, Impression, Netsurf and whatever minimodules might be involved in the
> hinterland.
>
> because that is what does NOT work for me: Ctrl-C behaves as expected, and
> Ctrl-V will paste it into many other places as expected, but in Netsurf's
> URL bar Ctrl-V does nothing at all -- apparently because of what is on the
> clipboard in this circumstance, for Ctrl-V DOES work in Netsurf's URL bar
> when the clipboard contents come from (say) Edit.

This isn't a NetSurf problem.

The URL bar is just a standard Wimp writable icon (I think; I'm open to
corrections), and so Ctrl-V into it is handled by whatever you use to handle
the clipboard in writable icons on your system.

You still haven't given us an OS version (unless I've missed it; I'm
catching up after a weekend down south), but I'll guess one of ROL's later
offerings with writable icon clipboard support. In which case:
congratulations, I think you've just found one of the "features".

Looking very cursorily at what messages get passed around when you do a
Ctrl-C in Impression on a RO4.37 machine, it appears that the Clipboard
Holder doesn't play with Impression.  Draw exhibits a similar 'issue',
because it uses the Clipboard Holder; I'd guess Edit would, too (but I can't
find a copy to try at present).

Peter, with an Iyonix, is probably using IcnClipBrd.  That /does/ play with
Impression (or, it /should/ do -- if it doesn't, I would be surprised).

We could make it a NetSurf problem by moving clipboard support for NetSurf's
standard writable icons into NetSurf itself, but I'm personally reluctant to
do it for a whole range of reasons (which mostly boil down to
wheel-reinvention being a waste of time).

Long term, I suspect we could ditch writable icons completely and do the URL
bar using one of NetSurf's own text fields, but that's not a five-minute fix
either.  Again, there are many more pressing things to do first, from what I
can see.

If anyone else fancies it, as Rob says, you know where the source is.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/