Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 08:22:28 +0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem for dos

On 2000-04-21 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
   >CC: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   >X-UIDL: 256231348
   >Status: U
   >hi all.  curiosity abounds in me head, what does it mean to
   >"flash" a modem?  Thanks.
   >Net-Tamer V 1.12 Beta - Test Drive

Until I got this Zoom 2949L, the only time I'd seen a modem flashed was 
when I watched my friend's Supra 33.6 being flashed.  For the Supra, 
there was a DOS program that you ran that would wake the modem up and 
send a command to tell the modem to receive data and store it to an 
a kind of ROM that can be erased and then written to by use of a 
program (EEPROM, I think).  

The program first erases the contents of that special ROM and then 
writes new code to the ROM.  In the case of the Zoom modems, the code is 
a binary file (in hex code) that is simply written directly to the ROM.  
The danger in flashing comes from the fact that the program has to erase 
the contents of the ROM before it can write new code.  If you were to 
have a power failure in the middle of the process, you might have to 
send the modem to the factory to have it repaired.

Many 33.6 modems were flashable and all the 56k modems are flashable.  
I've flashed my Zoom twice without any problems, but don't think I'll 
flash it again unless something really great comes along like V.90bis 
and the existing modems can be flashed to use it.  Besides, I have to 
put the Zoom on a Win9x system in order to flash it.  So long as it 
works as it currently is, I'd rather not go to that trouble of 
installing it on another system just to flash it, and mine is an 
external modem <g>.

Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.12 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to