Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:36:45 +0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nettamer and Onelist/egroups

On 2000-04-25 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
   >Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:33:36 MYT-8
   >On 24 Apr 00 at 18:22, Nettamer List wrote:
   >> As some of you may know, Onelist and Egroups have emerged.  My
   >> question is, when I try to sign into egroups to configure my
   >>account,  why does either Nettamer or the website not let me enter
   >>my full email  address it lets me enter everything but the last
   >>two letters. such as:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   >> instead of:
   >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   >Nettamer, unlike most graphical browsers doesn't scroll input
   >fields when you want to type more text in than the size permits.
   >There is a rather cumbersom workaround.  Here is what happens:
   >After nettamer downloads the HTML file, it parses the file and
   >creates another temp file with the HTML decoded.  This file has the
   >extension of ..t$$
   >An example of how the input fields are represented is:
   >Given Name:  <a>__________
   >Family Name: <b>__________
   >Near the bottom of this file is the following:
   >--END OF FILE--
   ><FORM=2a47ef6f.@01>
   ><INPUT=01/01          >
   ><INPUT=01/02          >
   >Notice that the number of blank spaces before the trailing ">" is
   >the width that Nettamer uses.  What I do is (while nettamer is
   >still running and on that webpage) to use a ascii editor to edit
   >this file and change
   ><INPUT=01/01                                      >
   ><INPUT=01/02                                      >
   >To make nettamer redisplay this page, I select any link on that page
   >which goes to another page (for example the link to a help file),
   >then immediately use the left arrow key to go to the previous page.
   >Nettamer won't download the page again but reuses the parsed temp
   >file (which I have just edited).  This time the input fields have
   >magically expanded:
   >Given Name:  <a>____________________________________
   >Family Name: <b>____________________________________
   >Of course I am running Desqview so I can run Nettamer in one DV
   >session and a ASCII editor in another so this works for me.
   >Philip

I just tried this by shelling to DOS and editing the temporary file 
using my text editor (TSE Pro 2.5) and it worked fine.  I don't have 
Desqview, so it isn't necessary to have Desqview to do it.  However, you 
can't have SHARE loaded <g>.  Unfortunately, the problem with Onelist 
goes beyond just getting your e-mail address and password in.  
Apparently, the way that Nettamer handles cookies doesn't satisfy 
Onelist.  The site comes back saying that cookies are turned off.   
There's no option to change the way cookies are handled, so far as I 
know, so without a cookie that satisfies the site, Onelist groups are 
still inaccessible using Nettamer.  For whatever reason Lynx386's method 
of handling cookies is okay with Onelist.

The good news is that this method of expanding entry fields could work 
with other sites where Nettamer fails otherwise.  I suggest that if any 
user has a site where they've run into this limitation, they should try 
Philip's workaround.  The worst that can happen is that it won't work.

Ron


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.12 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to