Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:10:54 -0500 (EST)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Question about Sorting Email

Bonnie:

       The large number of messages may be too much for Net-Tamer to 
index. You're index file is largely held in memory while you are 
reading a message file. If the index gets to be too big, Net-Tamer 
simply can't function as it should. 4,450 messages is *A LOT* of 
messages. In my experience, I've never gotten Net-Tamer to properly 
index and allow me to navigate through more than about 3,000 messages 
in one message file.

      ALT-G is a sort of multi-purpose function. Its chief reason for 
existence goes back to the days when people placed funny, interesting, 
and/or useful text in a tagline at the end of their messages. Other 
readers liked to "adopt" those taglines for their personal use. Thus, 
many news and mail readers came to have a "tagline [G]rabber." (That's 
why ALT-*G* is used as the command key option in Net-Tamer) ALT-G in 
Net-Tamer, though, has the advantage of allowing you to save selected 
lines of text from anywhere in a message to any text file. Thus, 
people use ALT-G to save a quote from a paragraph, to grab a URL to 
use later in the web browser, to save an E-Mail address (where a line 
of text contains ONLY the E-Mail address -- not a name, a phone 
number, or anything beyond "[EMAIL PROTECTED]") or to grab a 
tagline.

                      Walter Scott

   On 2000-11-02 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   And The Net-Tamer List:

 ::>I need some help here. Please. I'm using the latest
 ::>version of NT, and I downloaded almost 4450 msgs because I had
 ::>not picked email up for awhile. The download was fine. But, it
 ::>gave me an error 14 wh it was sorting, which was out of memory
 ::>for the sort string. However, it said to hit the F5 and it
 ::>would index from where it left off to the end. But I noticed
 ::>that it cuts off when it is out of memory, so it would seem
 ::>to me that it has nothing to index. There are more msgs for it
 ::>to do, but I don't know the sequence for the F5 or, it doesn't
 ::>work. I put the downloat into a tmp file and I copy it to the
 ::>mail.dlu file, because I don't want to lose my email. Also, what
 ::>the alt-G do when you use it in the middle of a msg? I tried it
 ::>and it tagged an address, but I figure that if you do an a at
 ::>the msg, you can add the address anyhow to the book. What is
 ::>the purpose of the alt-g? Thanks.
 
[[[[[ News & Views 24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week. That's The Net ]]]]]

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to