Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 09:36:15 -800
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: will someone remind me why....

On 2000-11-05 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
   >Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 10:02:08 -700
   >Heimo:
   >The text you quoted from me applies to NON-PPP connections. The
   >scenario would be that the user dials up their ISP to conduct online
   >business with their ISP -- not the INTERNET -- from within, for
   >example, a shell account. In this context, an 8-bit connection and
   >8-bit file transfers -- an absolute necessity for the proper
   >functioning of DSZ and Zmodem -- are possible. I have no hope or
   >vision for DSZ managing to properly conduct a Zmodem file transfer
   >over the INTERNET under a PPP connection. Some say it can be done.
   >I'd have to see it in person to believe it.
   >Walter Scott

I guessed that you were talking about a direct dialup to an ISP, 
presumably to access a unix shell account, which is what I used to do.  
Even in that case, zmodem uploads wouldn't work with DSZ or any version 
of zmodem via a telnet gateway to the BBS to which I was attempting to 
upload mail packets.  I had to use rlogin instead of telnet to bypass 
the telnet gateway, which was interfering with zmodem uploads.  

The original poster was dealing with a situation like the one I 
currently have, which is that I have _only_ PPP access via my ISP (no 
shell account) and have to use telnet over PPP to access the remote site 
from which I sometimes download files.  I can't use Net-Tamer for that 
purpose (Xmodem doesn't work with the site, bombs right away) and DSZ 
won't do it either, over PPP, so far as I can tell.  

However, the authors of Netterm, a Windows telnet client, managed to get 
zmodem to work for both uploading and downloading over a telnet 
connection.  Obviously, there's a way to do it, but not, apparently, via 
a standalone zmodem protocol driver like DSZ.  I've noted that zmodem 
performance is reduced when you upload or download via a telnet 
connection.  I suspect that there is some "magic" being done by the 
Netterm software to compensate for the fact that telnet is 7-bit and 
zmodem is 8-bit.  Compuserve used to do something of the same nature in 
order to do 8-bit file transfers over their 7-bit network.  In their 
case, Compuserve had obviously built the necessary compensation into 
their protocols, such as Compuserve-B and B-plus.

Incidentally, Omen Technology offers a 32-bit console application 
(Win9x) for telnet that includes their Zmodem-90 protocol (same as in 
DSZ).  That probably doesn't have any value for most users here, any 
more than it does for me, that is.  It's too bad they haven't chosen to 
provide a telnet application for DOS (or even Win 3.1) that includes 
Zmodem-90, but they probably just don't see a market for that sort of 
product.
 
Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to