Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 23:02:27 +0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: nettamer and search engines problem
On Sat, 07 Apr 2001 16:21:08 +0400, Jude DaShiell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I tried using www.google.com and raging.com and on both pages nettamer
> failed to announce an edit field into which I could type text for
> which to search on the web. I'm using the current version of nettamer
> and cannot figure out which letter to type for either of those sites in
> order to land on the edit field. Has anybody successfully used any
> search engine on the web where nettamer told you before you typed the
> letter of the field which field was the edit field so you could have a
> clue as to which letter to type when using a search page?
I've tried Google semi successfully. There IS an editible text
box both in the normal search and on the advanced search pages.
The problem is that on the normal search page there are two
radio buttons: "Google Search" and "I'm feeling Lucky". In NS
or IE you can click on only one of these buttons. But Nettamer
submits *both* buttons in the data it sends.
Doing some quick screen captures to see what NetTamer sends to
Google I have come up with a procedure to use Google with
NetTamer. Here is what I do if I need to search for something on
Google. Suppose I want to search for the words:
Pegasus Mail Waffle
Then I use the NetTamer HTTP option to select a new URL and then
I type in the following "new" URL:
www.google.com/search?q=Pegasus+Mail+Waffle&btnG=Google+Search
/*
* What I actually do is I have a text file with precomposed examples
* from previous searches. In another window I edit this text file
* to compose a new search string then using a screen cut and paste
* utility I paste it into Nettamer
*/
Suppose I want to use the advance search page? I use the
following "New URL" in NetTamer:
www.google.com/search?as_q=Pegwaf+Waffle&num=30&lr=lang_en&btnG=Google+Search
This is equivalent to keying in
"Pegwaf Waffle" in the text box as_q=pegwaf+waffle
Specify 30 results at a time &num=30
Specify search webpages in English &lr=lang_en
Press the submit button &btnG=Google+Search
I don't use the other options in the advanced search page but
inspecting the HTML source will give you some hints on what to
use in your search URL.
Just remember that Google needs spaces between your keywords
replaced with "+" in the search string.
Hope this helps.
Philip
--
Philip Chee: Tasek Corporation Bhd, P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Voice:+60.5.291.1011 Fax:+60.5.291.9932
Guard us from the she-wolf and the wolf, and guard us from the thief,
oh Night, and so be good for us to pass.
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************