Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 07:37:59 -0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Browsers

On 2001-06-18 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >> I read somewhere recently that pending US legislation will make it
   >> mandatory for all US based website pages to be available in "high
   >> contrast" format for increased user accessibility. I'm not sure
   >>what  such a page is technically - anyone know?
   >Hello John:
   >I have not heard of any such pending US legislation.  Such a law, if
   >enacted, would probably be nullified by the courts on the grounds
   >that it would inhibit freedom of speech.  Civil libertarians would
   >argue that our 1st Ammendment rights give everyone the right to
   >express any kind of crazy opinion, and that artists have the right

I doubt that the law would require that the web sites have _only_ "high 
contrast" format.  Rather, I suspect the law would require that website 
pages be offered in both standard and an _alternate_ "high contrast" 
format, similar to the way that some sites offer both graphic and text 
formats even now.  It's not a bad idea and wouldn't affect freedom of 
expression, though it would increase the work for web designers since 
they'd have to provide _both_ formats.  

Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to