Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:59:49 -0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Browsers

On 2001-06-18 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >>wouldn't affect freedom of  expression, though it would increase
   >>the work for web designers since  they'd have to provide _both_
   >formats.
   >> Ronald Dailey
   >Hello Ronald:
   >That would seem not to be an unreasonable requirement at all.  I
   >would support it.  It is already illegal for any government agency
   >or any business licensed to serve the public to discriminate
   >against the disabled.  If the disabled can be accomodated without
   >the businesses having to incur highly unreasonable extra overhead
   >expenses, then by all means it should be mandated that businesses
   >go out of their way to provide for access by the disabled.
   >BTW, what would you think of a law that would require web-site
   >designers to offer a special page for "Non-Java Capable" browsers
   >and also a special page for those who do not have other web-gizmos
   >such as "flash" and "shockwave" plugins?  In these cases the
   >computer operator is not disabled, but his computer system is
   >incapable.
   >Sam Heywood

It will be interesting to see what form the legislation will take if it 
ever gets anywhere.  As for offering a special page for non-java-capable 
browsers, that would be nice, but I don't think they will do it because 
in that case the only disability is in the user's wallet and not in his 
or her body.  I can't use the latest shockwave plugin, which requires 
Win9x, so I simply zipped up the shockwave plugin in Netscape.  I also 
have Java turned off most of the time because it is too darn slow.  I 
live without it, as I suspect most people with DOS and Win 3.1 do.  
Anyone who gets a _new_ computer won't have the problem.  They will 
have, instead, all the vulnerabilities to various viruses and trojans 
that having a Win32 system affords.  Good for them.

Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to