Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 02:07:14 -200
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem work with one ISP


On 2001-10-14 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >I own a external modem, the problem is I can use it only with one
   >ISP, can I change something to make it work with my ISP or can I
   >run some program that will allow me to use it with my ISP.
   >Or will I have to scrap it, as I do not intend to join the ISP that
   >market this modem.
   >Regards
   >Renaldo.

It has become common marketing promotional practice here in South
Africa for the major ISPs to offer what is essentially a "free" modem
linked to varying subscription lengths and charges. So one can see
a modem being obtained for as little as 1 month's subs - $16 equivalent.
Naturally there is a catch - the modem firmware is coded to be specific
to that ISP rendering it seemingly useless for any other connection.

I suspect that the modem you refer to is for M-Web since they were the
originators of such schemes. If so the modem is OEM'd from Askey being
little other than their standard external house modem ( Dynalink ), the
model number being V1456VQE. BTW the retail value of the Dynalink is
normally +/- $75. The lock that has been placed in the firmware would
appear to be operative immediately on a normally negotiated connect -
the modem expects to receive some or other specified signal or message
from the server to authorise further entry and login. I suspect that
such signal is the text message that appears directly after the usual
CONNECT message.

I have seen it reported that there is a way round the issue - identify
the firmware code, obtain the house code from the manufacturer and flash
the modem with that code. Askey modems will identify the firmware via
the ATH3 command issued from any terminal program. A visit to the Askey
website support/download area will enable you to get the relevant file
for trial. It might well be the case however that flashing could be
blocked through the modem IDs not being identical or because the code
to be flashed is the same version as the existing firmware ( some
modems only allow upgrades to be flashed). Askey have only issued one
firmware version.

No harm in trying however - at worst the modem becomes useless which is
no different from its current state since you don't intend subscribing
to the relevant ISP!

BTW WorldOnline has recently indulged in the same ploy using a local
modem - Duxbury - as the bait.


Don

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to