Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 01:07:17 +0200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Modem work with one ISP

On 2001-10-14 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> 
>    >I own a external modem, the problem is I can use it only with one
>    >ISP, can I change something to make it work with my ISP or can I
>    >run some program that will allow me to use it with my ISP.
>    >Or will I have to scrap it, as I do not intend to join the ISP that
>    >market this modem.
>    >Regards
>    >Renaldo.
> 

Does the modem accept "Hayes commands"? Assuming it does I would start
the pc up in pure DOS mode and question it in the "dumb terminal" mode
in Nettamer. Running through the series ATH0, ATH1, ATH2 and so on up
till way past ATH10 might reveal things like the origin of the chip. (My
USRSportster identifies itself by its full model name, my Dynalink
V1456VQE only reveals its Rockwell chip by a letter code.) Identifying
the chip might give some hints towards initialization strings to try.

And what's the default configuration? On another Rockwell-chip modem I
have the command AT&V returns the "active profile" and the two stored
profiles - options set and contents of S-registers. I can't remember if
the AT&V command worked the same for the Sportster, I think it did. (The
Sportster has a really nice feature, the "dollar commands". Sending it
AT$ makes it return a list of all single-letter commands it will take,
AT&$ a list of all the ampersand commands and so on.) Oh, I guess the
AT&V should be preceded by an ATZ to reset the modem to its factory
default settings.

If your modem will work with another ISP? I have no idea, but if you get
some responses from these AT commands you might get hints on how to
customize your initialization string, and hopefully make it work. Don't
be too quick about dumping it. _I_ certainly would try to outsmart that
modem.

Olle



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to