Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:49:30 -0700
From: "Randy Formenti N8KL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: More on Nettamer not connecting to Mindspring Louisville POP

Several days ago I wrote about a problem I had with Nettamer crashing when I
tried connecting to the Mindspring Louisville POP.  After sending David my
packet.cap file he explained that for whatever reason the Louisville POP was
using Internet Group Management Protocol which he says is not the RFC
standard.
I will contact Mindspring tech support to see if they will say why the
Louisville POP is different from any other POP and ask if there are
alternate numbers for Louisville. Of course I'm supposed to do this knowing
very little about PPP and without mentioning I'm trying to use a DOS
program.

I've got to say that I'm somewhat disappointed in David's response.  I
realize
I'm not the only person on the planet and I certainly don't expect him to
drop
everything to fix the program just to make me happy.  But where does
it say that Mindspring or Earthlink is required to pollow the exact RFC
standard?  All they promise is that the ISP will work with certain operating
systems including Windows 95 which is what I use.  The Dial-up networking
supplied with Win95 is over five years old and has no problem connecting
to the Louisville POP.

So the writing is on the wall, nettamer will work with fewer and fewer ISPs.
I'm sure most people reading this won't care about the Louisville POP, but
it's
only a matter of time before your ISP changes something and Nettamer quits
working.




********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to