Am 18/01/19 um 16:48 schrieb James Wallbank:

> Thanks for this summary David, I'd suggest that it's broadly accurate.
>
> Some of you may have noticed that Brexit has pretty much incinerated
> my social media presence (which used to focus on the impacts of
> digital engagement and transformation on the arts, culture, and
> locality,(plus a smattering of green issues). Now its focus is almost
> exclusively the madness of Brexit, which I can only interpret as the
> national equivalent of a nervous breakdown.

For me the basic problem is direct democracy as in referendum. And
second referendum. It may be unpopular because direct democracy looks
like the non plus ultra of democracy but Brexit shows that the non plus
ultra of democracy is the sovereignty of parliament. Also as far as a
second referendum is concerned. All that is necessary for "remain" is a
decision by a simple majority of MPs.

"Direct democracy", is this a fashion of politicians without
responbibility or a principle of constitutional law of the UK? Like the
sovereignty of parliament. Maybe we should rethink democracy once more.
Is direct democracy good in all cases? Obviously not.

Best, H.

#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nett...@kein.org