RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[37] Vialli still wants Danny
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
>From Ananova:

Watford have reiterated their desire to sign Danny Webber on loan from Manchester
United for next season.

Webber scored two goals in four starts for the Hornets during a one-month loan at
Vicarage Road.

Gianluca Vialli is keen to tie up a season-long deal for the 20-year-old.

Vialli seems to have the backing of his board over Webber, despite being told he
cannot afford to extend loan moves for Paul Okon or David Noble.

Hornets general manager Terry Byrne said: "Danny Webber did magnificently, he came in
with a great attitude.

"He wanted to work, wanted to learn from Luca and conducted himself very well both on
and off the field and he scored a couple of goals for us at important times.

"We're really just waiting to see what we can and can't do in the summer," he told the
club's official website.

---------------------------------
[36] Fergie: No gung ho
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"We have to look for goals in a measured way. We can’t just go gung ho here and think
we are going to win. We have to make sure we have a solid base about us."

"In these situations you depend on players who have been through the course before and
we have enough players who have.

"Everyone has to perform tonight. We didn’t play well last week at Old Trafford but we
still have a chance because we didn’t lose.

"If you come out of your home game and you haven’t lost then you say it is not a bad
result because we didn’t deserve to win."

---------------------------------
[35] Wes wants Larry to stay
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
“I would definitely be glad if he stayed on,” added Wes. “It would be fantastic to
have another year with him. The longer he is here the more I and others can learn from
him.

“I’ve missed a lot of education alongside him this season because of my injuries.

“I could still watch Laurent in training and matches but the being there with him were
the most important thing for me.

“He has proved a lot of people wrong. A lot were saying he wasn’t up to it but ask
anyone here in the United dressing room and they would completely disagree. He is one
of the best. He is absolutely brilliant.”

---------------------------------
[34] Wes looks to Larry
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
“Often you don’t have a man to mark in situations like this because a lot of it comes
from midfield.

“So you have to keep your mind on the match and be ready.

“It is easy for your mind to wander but I will take my lead from Laurent Blanc. His
concentration is first class. No matter where the ball is on the pitch he is
concentrating and getting himself ready in the right positions.”

---------------------------------
[33] Wes: Leverkusen not scousers
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
“I don’t think Bayer Leverkusen would ever just defend. They are better when they are
attacking as they proved at Old Trafford.

“They had most of the ball and attacked us more than we did them. Going at teams has
got them this far and they’ve been doing it all season so they’ll keep it the same way.

---------------------------------
[32] Wes: Just another game
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
“I didn’t play against Juventus in ’99 nor in the final though I was on the bench, so
this would be the biggest match ever for me.”

“But I don’t get fazed by anything like this. I would treat it as just another game.”

---------------------------------
[31] Nicky on Roy
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"You can't really describe how important Roy is. He is the team's leader. Everyone is
glad to have him back."

---------------------------------
[30] Siddy fan gets exited
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
Lee Dixon:

"We're going to focus on the FA Cup now but, for us, there's no better place to win
the title than Old Trafford,"

---------------------------------
[29] Fergie on BayArena
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"It is small, just 22,000, but it is a good pitch and everything is laid on for a
really good game."

---------------------------------
[28] Fergie on Bayer blowing championship
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
It is disappointing for them because I know they dearly wanted to win the championship
but that is not an issue for us. Our issue is we have got to win in Germany and that
is a big challenge for us,"

---------------------------------
[27] Fab to throw a sickie?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
Fab has heavy cold and didn't train last night

---------------------------------
[26] Giggsy on doing it the hard way
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"We always seem to make things difficult for ourselves at this stage of the
competition and this season has proved no different.

"We did things the hard way in the semi-final against Juventus in 1999 and if we are
to reach the final this year, we will have to find another performance like we did in
Turin.

"Juventus were one of the best sides in Europe at the time and the memories of going
to the Delle Alpi and winning 3-2 to reach the final is still fresh in our minds and a
massive confident boost.

"If we can win there when the pressure is on, we can definitely do it again in
Germany, especially because I think we're even more dangerous going forward than we
were three years ago.

"We feel we're capable of moving up at least a couple more gears from Wednesday and
we'll have to see whether they've got something more up their sleeve. If we perform as
we know we can, they'll need to improve if they're going to live with us."

---------------------------------
[25] Giggsy on Roy
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"The great news for us is the return of Roy Keane.

"Even though we're a squad full of experienced professionals, Roy still gives us that
something extra when he plays and if there's one player at Old Trafford I or any of
the other lads would want out there on Tuesday night, it's Roy.

"His presence on the pitch lifts everyone and I'm sure Leverkusen were none too
pleased to see him back in the thick of things for the full 90 minutes on Saturday."

---------------------------------
[24] Sheep rustling?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
Apparently Rio Ferdinand was spotted at OT recently

---------------------------------
[23] Ballack B*ll*cked
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
Ballack is definitely out of game tonight

---------------------------------
[22] And another one
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
Ljungberg:

'It was very embarrassing, to be honest.'

'I am just glad we beat them at home this season, that showed we weren't as bad as we
were last year.

'But it doesn't matter for me where we win the title as long as we do win it.

'It won't be easy to go to Old Trafford and get a point.'

---------------------------------
[21] A gooner remembers last season
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
Ashley Cole:

'Making mistakes makes you a better player. If you don't make mistakes, how are you to
know if you did things wrong?

'Next week, we think we can go there and win. It was disappointing last season. I
wasn't happy at being taken off at half-time.

'But a few of the goals were maybe my fault and my positioning wasn't good at times
but I can't play well every game.

'It would mean a lot to me to go out there and play well.'

---------------------------------
[20] Nicky wants continous improvement
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"It's just a case of consistency, the more you play the more confident and fitter you
get."

 "You just get into a nice routine, playing more games. I think I was just as good a
player last season although maybe not as mature. But now I'm at an age where I've got
to start getting better each year."

---------------------------------
[19] Nicky Butt not scared of yellow
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"It's not difficult at all. You've just got to go into the game and play as you would
normally. You've got to put it out of your head. If you did worry about it, you would
not be competing properly."

---------------------------------
[18] Fergie: Bayer will attack
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"I think it's in their nature to attack," he said. "I don't think their coach Klaus
Toppmoller can say to his players 'right lads, 0-0' because they've not done that all
season.

"They may be a bit tentative and a bit careful, but their natural thing is to attack
and it should be a fantastic game.

"You don't set out to lose goals, no-one does, but the way we play it's very likely
because we will certainly be trying to win the match.

"It should be a good game, although in saying that I would be happy to win 1-0.

"We know it will be a very difficult game, but we're a good side and the players will
be reminded of that before they go out."

---------------------------------
[17] Fergie: It will be harder than Turin
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"I think it's harder."

"Two-two is more difficult than 1-1, but after 10 minutes in Turin it was incredibly
hard.

"There are similarities and we're going out with the attitude that we need to win both
games.

"We felt we had to win the game in Turin and we have to win this game too."

"We will score," he said. "We know that and Leverkusen know that. I feel we have to
score two goals against Leverkusen to win."

---------------------------------
[16] Latest match odds
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
>From our partners Sporting Odds

Bayer Leverkusen 6/4
Manchester United 6/4
Draw 11/5

---------------------------------
[15] Latest Champions League odds
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
Real Madrid 8/13
Bayer Leverkusen 11/4
Manchester United 7/2
Barcelona 40/1

---------------------------------
[14] St Mickey sulks
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"Of course it was disappointing to lose but, if the improvement we have made over the
last three or four years keeps going, I'm sure we'll win it over the next year or so.

---------------------------------
[13] Fergie gives the ref a reminder
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"The ref we had in the first leg was very careful to give them every chance.

"If the game is competitive and played in the right spirit there will be no need for
any bookings. That will be the ref's responsibility. He has to be as good as the
players.

"The most important thing is that he has common sense, like last week's ref did. He
knew all the players who were facing a possible suspension."

"No one wants to see a player miss a final. All you can do is hope the ref understands
the nature of the game.

"But I can't ask any players to restrict the way they play."

---------------------------------
[12] McManaman not sleeping well
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"For a Liverpool lad to beat United in the final and score would be fantastic. But to
lose to them would be a nightmare.

"It will be a fantastic occasion if we are playing each other in Glasgow.

"That is the final that neutrals want to see."

---------------------------------
[11] Fabs Dad does the right thing
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"I have been to watch Fabien three times in England. They have lost twice and drawn
once.

"They will have a better chance of the win they need without me around."

---------------------------------
[10] Fab is mad says Dad
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"Whenever Fabien has had crunch games, he has been on top. When a great performance is
required, he produces it."

Old Trafford fans may feel Barthez owes them such a performance after a sequence of
blunders this season.

Alain said: "I have sat here feeling miserable, almost stunned, but I knew he would
quickly get over that and come back stronger.

"Perhaps he does have a touch of madness at times, but he would not have had the
career he has enjoyed without it."

---------------------------------
[9] Fab's Dad on the Utd way
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"I have sat here on this settee watching a lot of goals going past Fabien. That is
hard for him.

"I would rather they won 1-0 than 4-3, but United have a different philosophy and
Fabien knows he just has to get on with it.

"Don't get me wrong, he is proud of playing for United and he loves Manchester.

"I just feel for Fabien as any father would. I know how much he hates conceding goals
and he cannot be totally happy looking at the figures in the table.

"Most great teams start with a solid defence and build on that, but United are doing
things differently. Fabien is making the best of it.

"He is a world and European champion and he has not gone back. He is aware United are
more committed to attack than defence."

---------------------------------
[8]Berbatov: More of the same required
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"So far, the tactics that Toppmoller has used have been spot on, the performance at
Old Trafford was one of our best of the season, but we will have to reproduce that to
go through.

---------------------------------
[7] Berbatov is confident
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"United are probably the best team in Europe. They have some tremendous players like
Roy Keane, Juan Veron, Ruud van Nistelrooy and David Beckham, and they'll do
everything to try to beat us. But I'm confident that we will be ready."

---------------------------------
[6] Heaven or Hell?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
Dimitar Berbatov from One Football

"Manchester United are Red Devils and they could easily shatter our dreams," he told
onefootball.com. "We're so close to heaven, but we also know that United could turn it
into hell."

---------------------------------
[5] Hofland reckons he's blown it
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
After Utd show distinct lack of interest following games against the sheep.

Of course the fact he's been telling everyone up to now he's only coming if he gets a
game might not have helped!

'I cannot deny there have been problems this season and I have not played very well.
The defence was virtually unchanged last season and that helped me settle and find my
best form. But I have had injuries this time and so have others. All the disruption
has affected me and I have not maintained the same level of consistency.

'If someone comes in for me, I feel I am ready to go and gain the experience of
playing for a big club. But if it doesn't happen, it won't be the end of the world. I
am still young. I am only in my second season here and I am still learning.'

Excuses, excuses

---------------------------------
[4] Toppmoller fails to use the 'M' word
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
'It's possible for United to win in every stadium in the world. This is one of the
biggest challenges of my career.'

---------------------------------
[3] Fergie: We have the ability
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
'I think we have the ability to score goals away from home and I think Leverkusen know
that.

'Nobody wants to concede goals. But the way we play that is quite likely. I am
confident we can score more than them and it could be a great game. But I would be
happy to win 1-0.'

---------------------------------
[2] Giggsy: Desire
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
'We have won this competition once but we are desperate to win it again. The fact that
the Final is in Glasgow and means so much to the manager just adds to our desire.'

---------------------------------
[1] Wenger wants to rub it in
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2002 by tb:
"It is a long, hard season and we want to do it if we can at Old Trafford - and I
think we can.

"It is a big, big game for both teams but we want to finish well away from home
because we have had a remarkable season away from home."

Well it was always asking too much to get a favour out of the yonners

---------------------------------
[25] Fergie on Roys influence
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, April 29, 2002 by tb:
"I think it's a well-known fact that he's the most influential player we have had at
our club ever probably."

"I think Robson had the qualities we're talking about with Roy. Some players come
along maybe once in a lifetime and I've been fortunate to have the both of them.

"Bryan Robson was different from Roy in some aspects, but they shared the one common
denominator and that was the driving force within themselves. They made other players
play.

"Eric was more of a talisman and he also was the catalyst for what we were trying to
achieve at that time.

"We needed someone maybe just to stick their chest out and tell everyone we were a
very good team and he did that."

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.