RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[15] Renewal Problems
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by Farrell:
This from Red News Reader Sean:
I got a call from United yesterday asking if I was renewing my season ticket.
Apparently they had no record of my app which I sent in May!!. The woman who phoned
told me they don't usually phone people who haven't renewed but that this year there
were many more than previous years who had not renewed. She also said that they had
been unable to contact many people because they had old work numbers as contact
numbers and also because some were ex-directory. The point is, if they can't get hold
of the people by next week, their tickets will lapse.

---------------------------------
[14] The Plot Thickens
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by Farrell:
In a statement from David Walker, Leeds communications director, said "The statement
says that David O'Leary has left the company and I can confirm that he was sacked"

---------------------------------
[13] Chapman: "Matter Of Principle"
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by Farrell:
"The rumour was he was going to be given the first six games. I'm quite surprised it's
happened in the close season because I thought this action would be taken then.

"I know the board and Leeds fans, considering the huge amount he's spent, they expect
success and that means a trophy - and he hasn't brought a trophy.

"He brought a team to the point of winning but it seems the board felt he wasn't going
to make that little extra step and that's why he's gone now.

"The Leeds board are in the situation where they have to sell. A lot of money has been
spent without a lot to show for it.

"I know David would be dead against selling Rio, but the board have got to be
businessmen. David might have said as a matter of principle 'if Rio goes, I go as
well'."

Chapman added: "If you get the full story, David is a man of principle, and he would
argue that they have to keep the team intact.

"But the board will say 'we can't, we have to balance the books' especially with
missing out on the Champions League.

"Like any professional footballers I think the Leeds players will be surprised at the
timing, but if the trophy wasn't looking like coming they knew the pressure would be
on David next season.

"The players will understand it and they will know they are under pressure too to
impress the new manager."

---------------------------------
[12] Lorimer Reckons Rio's The Cause
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by Farrell:
We've seen the constant speculation branded about various different players and I'm
sure the whole thing's linked together.

"The manager has probably spoken to the board about who will be staying and going and
they might not have agreed and they have decided that the best thing to do is let
David go and bring in someone else."

He continued: "He has been successful to a certain degree. He has brought some good
players through since taking over in 1998 and he started very well.

"Everything was good and he got them to the semi-final of the Champions League, but he
has failed to that in the last two years.

"The club did invest very heavily and maybe this is what the club were unsettled by."

---------------------------------
[11] More Sheep Pen Activity
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by Farrell:
Dont worry not that sort we wouldnt publish anything like that.
The first names being linked with replacing O'Leary are Guus Hiddink and Ruud Gullit
as well as Martin O'Neil again.

After four trophyless years at Elland Road, one strong outsider looks like being a
Midwife from the local maternity ward because they are good at getting babies to
deliver.

I'll get me coat...

---------------------------------
[10] And On This Side Of The Pennines
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by Farrell:
As the Divs just add to this afternoons amusement:

ciddy are claiming they have done nothing wrong in there purchase of former Newcastle
defender Sylvain Distin but the Barcodes are "furious" because they insist that they
had first option on Distin.

The bitters could be in big, nay, Massive trouble should the Football League rule that
they did make an illegal approach on the defender.

David Bernstein stated "If there is an issue, it is without foundation,"

---------------------------------
[9] Rio Speaks First
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by Farrell:
"It's a massive shock, and I'm disappointed to see this happen.

"He's been with the club through good and bad. He paid a lot of money to sign me and
he's been brilliant for me, first-class."

So its the amount of money that was paid that is the strongest link?

---------------------------------
[8] O'Leary Off.
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by Farrell:
In a statement from Peter Ridsdale from the Sheep Pen:

Leeds United PLC announces that David O'Leary, manager of Leeds United Football Club
has left the company by mutual consent.

"After four successful years the pressures of some of the off-field incidents have
resulted in both the company and Mr O'Leary agreeing that it would be of mutual
benefit for a change of manager.

"It is hoped that an announcement regarding a successor can be announced in the next
few weeks.

"Leeds United would like to place on record its thanks for David's enormous
contribution over the last four years."

One source close to leeds united said "Baa, Baa". Alledgedly.

---------------------------------
[7] Hey Brut
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Ronaldo swapped shirts with Becks - and liked what he smelt

 "Normally when you get shirts, especially after a game in the heat like that, they
are soaked in sweat and absolutely stink. It was a surprise, to say the least, that
Beckham's shirt smelt only of perfume.  Either he sweats cologne or he obviously
protects himself against body odour."

---------------------------------
[6] Official site beckons Rio
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
PA story

'Manchester United fans have voted strongly in favour of the club's reported interest
in signing England defender Rio Ferdinand.

In a poll being conducted by United's official website to determine which World Cup
star the supporters would like to see at Old Trafford, Ferdinand is proving by far the
most popular choice

The Leeds centre-back has received 43.6% of the votes cast, well clear of Brazilian
striker Ronaldo, who is second with 18.8%.

Italian defender Alessandro Nesta is next best with 15.8%, followed by another
Brazilian in Roberto Carlos, who polled 8.6%.'

---------------------------------
[5] Quotes from the past
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Fergie: "I actually knew Gerard Houllier a long time before he became Liverpool
manager. He once came to me to ask my opinion on moving to Liverpool and I told him it
was a good idea. I thought he was suited for management over here"

---------------------------------
[4] Red News summer offer
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Red News published 9 issues last season, of which we have limited stocks of 8 still
available. As a special offer you can purchase ALL eight issues together with a FREE
copy of Red News' book celebrating the Nou Camp triumph in 1999 - European Glory - all
for the bargain price of just £13.50 including postage and packing. This is a must
have offer so go on!

8 issues + book for £13.50 inc p&p in the UK
8 issues + book for £16 inc p&p in Europe and rest of the world.

Send your order by cheque, made payable to Red News, to Red News, P.O.Box 176,
Manchester, M16 8LG or you can now order by credit card. click on

---------------------------------
[3] Send us your news
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
The Editor and a few of the RN team are away for the next week or so, for those of us
left behind you can help out with any new news items you spot by sending them to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] all enquiries to the Ed will be answered on his return or when his
hangover recovers, whichever is sooner.

card payment, ordering online from wherever you live in the world, getting the mag to
your door.

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to a UK address click on

To order the 10 issue sub to be sent to an address in the rest of the world click on

And those philanthropists out there can help with our costs by making an online
donation via paypal. Doesn't matter how small the amount is, every bit helps with the
costs of the site - thanks. click on.

---------------------------------
[1] ebay baby
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2002 by redend:
You know how expensive alcohol & drugs can be? And some members of the RN team are
forced to pay for conjugals or go without. Sad but true. Their (sex) life is in your
hands (I'd recommend washing them (your hands) with antiseptic soap at this point). So
what can you do to help these dysfunctional dregs of society?

OK - this costs you nothing but it could pay for the RED NEWS site and free news
service for a whole year. If every one of our punters registers on the ebay auction
site via our link we'd be sorted and you'd have a warm feeling inside.

Don't be shy - click the banner below and register so we get paid a few quid for
bringing you whats been voted (by us) as the best MUFC news on the net - simple as
that.

Think of it as a kind of community service you'd be performing.

 http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-8151655

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news

---------------------------------
[23] United tennis connection
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Guardian

'Wimbledon's hordes are not noted for their interest in football. Long before England
were eliminated from the World Cup the All England Club announced it would not
broadcast a possible semi-final on the giant screen behind No1 court, and yesterday's
German victory barely registered a murmur on the grounds. For the British wild card
Rachel Viollet, however, defeated by
Bulgaria's Magdalena Maleeva yesterday, the national game was her first love.

Her father was the late Dennis Viollet, a Busby Babe who led the line for Manchester
United as they grew in stature in the late 1950s and a survivor of the Munich air
crash. Despite being somewhat eclipsed by the reputations of Duncan Edwards and Bobby
Charlton, he was a key member of the side.

He remains the club's fourth-highest goalscorer, level with George Best with 179
goals. His record of 32 league goals in a season still stands and his record for
European goals in a campaign was beaten only this year by Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Viollet ended his football career as a coach in the North American Soccer League,
moving with his young family to Florida in 1972, and it was there that his passion for
the game transferred to his daughter, helped along by summer pilgrimages to Old
Trafford.

"I used to play all the time but there were not the opportunities to
make a career out of football that there are now for girls, so I
started playing tennis instead," she said yesterday.

Her second-choice game progressed well and, when she last appeared at Wimbledon, in
1996, it was as British No1. Within a year, however, her father was diagnosed with
brain cancer and she put her career on hold to help her mother Helen care for him.

It cost her potentially the best years of a promising career but she returned to the
game in 1999 without regrets and with a sense of perspective rare among the blinkered
careerists of the womens' tour.

"When dad was ill I took 2 years out of the game to look after him," she said after
her 6-1, 6-0 defeat. "I think that time away from the game, spending time with my
parents, taught me how much more of life is out there.

"I'm disappointed because I can play a lot better than that but, while tennis is a
passion, at the end of the day it's not the most important thing in my life. Dad would
have been proud to see me out there. He played at the very highest level and he maybe
didn't always perform at his best, so I can take comfort from what he would have said
to me. He's still with me."

Distance has also given her perspective on the national obsession:
"There seems an absolute passion for football here but it seems like the country is
always on a great high or a great low. People shouldn't be so desperate for success.
You have to let it happen."

---------------------------------
[22] Scousers try to rob old lady...but old lady hits back
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Tribal Football:

After David Trezeguet and Edgar Davids, Liverpool have made enquiries about  a third
Juventus player. According to Tuttosport today, Liverpool have approached Juve about
the  availability of Alessandro Del Piero. The Reds enquiry provoked an angry response
from Juventus chief Luciano  Moggi, who reportedly said: "You want Del Piero? Then
gives us Owen!"

---------------------------------
[21] Raimond Coventry bound
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2002 by bar-knee:
 Van der Gouw on his way to Coventry?

Coventry chairman Mike McGinnity

 "Raimond has been made an offer and he has gone away to think about it. The talks
went well and we are hopeful that he will sign."

---------------------------------
[20] Ronaldo DIY expert
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2002 by redend:
Just seen Ronaldo score v Turkey and following yesterday's story "[25] Ronaldo on a,
er, haircut?" where he revealed he'd been cutting his own hair we can also exclusively
reveal that rumours that his penchant for DIY not only takes in hairdressing but also
includes dentistry...... are completely untrue.

What a plonker he looks though. If you haven't seen it its like a reversal of classic
male pattern baldness. That is, no hair on top or at the back - just a sad semi-circle
at the front.

Or as "Twatengine put it on the  http://www.rednews.co.uk/forum/RED.php RED FORUM
under the thread "Ronaldo's head":

"Ronaldo's head"
What has happened to it?
He appears to have got a muff stuck on his forehead.

Nice.

I'm sure Mrs Ronaldo will love it - then again, maybe its hers?

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.