RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[34] More tributes for Wood
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by bar-knee:
Wilf McGuinness in the MEN

“We were going for the double that year and certainly favourites to beat Villa in the
FA Cup final. But all that changed when Ray was flattened by McParland in the first
half. I don’t think there has ever quite been a foul like that in an FA Cup final. Ray
had the ball in his hands but McParland chased him for 10 yards and then hit him with
a flying head-butt. That was the only time I ever saw Duncan Edwards angry on a
football pitch. He came racing over with his eyes blazing but managed to control
himself. It was obvious straight off that Ray was badly injured. It was reported after
the match that he had fractured his cheekbone but I think his jaw was also broken by
that challenge from McParland. The medical staff walked Ray around behind the stands
trying to get him to come to his senses but it was obvious that he couldn’t continue
in goal. We didn’t have substitutes in those days so Jackie Blanchflower had to go in
goal. Ray came back in the second half and played up front !
for a while just to make up the numbers which says a lot about his bravery. But he was
in great pain and he had to be brought off again and, with ten men, we couldn’t hold
out an Villa beat us.

Ray was a very competent goalkeeper who went on to play for England but it is fair to
say that he wasn’t considered one of the bright lights in the team which became famous
as the Busby Babes. I will never forget his performance in a European Cup tie against
Borussia Dortmund in the mid-50s. We had drawn 3-3 against them at Maine Road and they
must have thought they were through to the next round with the home leg to come.
However, Ray stopped everything that came his way in the second match in Dortmund. He
was absolutely brilliant and it was his performance more than anything else which got
us a 0-0 draw and a place in the next round. He was a bit unfortunate in his spell at
Old Trafford in that there was a lot of clamour for the club to go out and buy Harry
Gregg from Doncaster Rovers who everyone was raving about. Harry did eventually arrive
and Ray hardly got a look-in at first-team level after that and eventually left not
long after the Munich disaster.”

---------------------------------
[33] David Sadler on Ray Wood
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by bar-knee:
“I got to know Ray reasonably well. He was a quiet, undemonstrative man but very
interesting to listen to. He had some heart problems back in the 80s and underwent
by-pass surgery but he was captain of his local golf club in Bexhill and was in good
health right up his heart attack last weekend.”

---------------------------------
[32] Nesta paradox
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by bar-knee:
Lazio's Sergio Cragnotti

“Nesta will probably be an Inter player before Friday”

---------------------------------
[31] Blackburn angry over Duff talk
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by bar-knee:
Rovers Chief executive John Williams

 "All the stories of hurriedly arranged talks and ultimatums are absolute nonsense and
very disappointing to say the least That is not how we work and, thankfully, Damien is
well aware of that. We spoke to Damien weeks and weeks ago, long before the World Cup
in fact. And agreed to resume the discussions after the summer holiday."

---------------------------------
[30] Souness gets serious
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Terrace reports that Sourness is stalling on signing on a contract extension
>until he finds out if his board will sell Duff or not.

---------------------------------
[29] Ronaldinho denies United talk
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I was never contacted by these clubs" (us and Barca)

---------------------------------
[28] Have a word in his ear Wes
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by bar-knee:
Agent Brown at work? Rio is on holiday in Las Vegas with Wes Brown and Ashley Cole.

---------------------------------
[27] Nesta hint?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by bar-knee:
Lazio coach Roberto Mancini

"It's true that there are too many players on our roster"

---------------------------------
[26] Bournemouth ticket details
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by bar-knee:
Bournemouth v A Select Manchester United XI
Dean Court, Saturday 27 July, kick off 3pm

Tickets go on general sale on Thursday July 11 and are limited to a maximum of four
per person.They are priced at £12.50 for adults and £5 for Under 16's and over 65's.

The allocation is approximately 1,300 and it's all-seater and covered. The Stand is
The East Stand and the away section is called ES4. The seating is across the side of
the pitch, not behind a goal.

Tickets can be purchased through AFC Bournemouth by ringing 0845 011 2322(This is the
Bournemouth International Centre [BIC] ticket hotline number) or through the official
web site at www.afcb.co.uk.

---------------------------------
[25] Tickets for West Brom on sale
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by bar-knee:
The season beckons

'Manchester United v West Bromwich Albion

On Saturday 17th August, United are at home to West Bromwich Albion, kick off 3pm.

SPECIAL NOTICE TO MEMBERS:- Unfortunately this seasons membership packs will not be
dispatched until 12th July. However, any existing members wishing to make a postal
application are advised to do so using last seasons 2001/2
match ticket order form, noting price changes. Applications should include sae, open
cheque made payable to MUFC or credit/debit card details (please note an
administration fee of 3% per transaction is charged). Any new members can also apply
by forwarding a letter of application, quoting Name, Address and Telephone details of
each member, relevant payment and sae.  Alternatively, members can make an online
application using the clubs official website by clicking here. However, please note
these applications will be given the same consideration as postal requests.

JUNIOR TICKET SCHEME - we are pleased to announce that the junior ticket scheme will
continue for 11 to 15 year olds only. A set number of seats (strictly for junior
members only) will be allocated for every home game in the East Lower section of the
stadium. Junior members wishing to take up the offer must complete the appropriate
section on the match ticket order form.

Members Seat Prices are as follows (subject to availability):

North and South Stands Upper and Lower £27
North Stand 2nd Tier £25
North East / West Quadrants Upper and Lower £23
East and West Stand Upper £23
East and West Stand 2nd Tier £23
Family Stand £23
North Stand 3rd Tier £21
East and West Lower £19

A half price facility is available to under 16s and over 65s.

Please note, in the event of being oversubscribed a postal ballot will be held to
determine the successful applicants.Furthermore, Members should be mindful of the
following points:

1) The Family Stand has a strict no smoking policy
2) Access to the North Stand 2nd / 3rd tier and East / West Stand 2nd tier  seating
involves a substantial amount of climbing. Persons having  difficulty with climbing or
suffering from vertigo are advised accordingly.

FOR INFORMATION ONLY: THE NEXT PREMIER LEAGUE HOME GAME TO BE SOLD ISMIDDLESBROUGH, TO
BE PLAYED ON TUESDAY 3RD SEPTEMBER KICK OFF 8PM. ANANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING SELLING
ARRANGEMENTS FOR THIS MATCH WILL BE MADE ON TUESDAY 23RD JULY.'

---------------------------------
[24] Nesta in new link
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Evening Standard

'Manchester United are hoping to pull off a double coup by signing Alessandro Nesta
for less than £20 million and striking a blow against high transfer fees. Senior
United sources believe the Lazio and Italy defender could be bought  for as little as
£15m.'

---------------------------------
[23]Supporters United?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by redend:
Yawn?

Its finally happened - the two main national supporters bodies The FSA (Football
Supporters Association) and the NFFSC (National Federation of Football Supporters
Clubs) have finally got their act together and merged into a single organisation ...
The FSANFFSC? Nope - its the FSF - the Football Supporters Federation.

They'll have been a lot of wrangling over the new name - who gets more words from the
previous organisation names, apostrophes and sub-clauses. Its easy to take the p1ss ..
and I never miss an opportunity. However - they have finally done it and it now means
that the politicians and Football Authorities can no longer divide and rule.

So does it make any diffence to Reds? Well we can only hope so. Most of the issues
they campaign on af

---------------------------------
[22] Unsubstantiated rumour #96784
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by redend:
This one was trickling in over the days after OhDearMe got the sack and probably due
to nothing more than the dynamics of email whispers its become a bit of a torrent.

Anyway - in case you haven't heard it and you like this kind of thing:

Pigsy + Eddie G's Daughter = The Sack [Should that be "in the ..."]

[21] AP: SHEEP SHAGGED
Posted Tuesday, July 9, 2002 by redend: