 From: Michael Lanzone <mlanz...@gmail.com>
To: Ted Floyd <tfl...@aba.org>
Cc: Magnus Robb <magnus.r...@me.com>; Michael O'Brien <tsw...@comcast.net>;
Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes <c...@cornell.edu>; NFC-L
<nf...@list.cornell.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 2, 2012 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: [nfc-l] Night Migrating Raptors

Hi All,

Since we are on the discussion of night migrants raptors... one of our Golden
Eagles started moving a little over an hour before sunrise in the spring last
year. Our transmitters are programmed to start collecting data at sunrise, this
one malfunctioned and was recording data 24 hours a day. Good thing, made us
reevaluate when we should be collecting data! I often wondered if golden's
moved during dark hours as we have them on our camera traps well before first
light and after sunset but of course those birds did not have telemetry units
on so we had no way to know if they roosted  there. A golden eagle is not a
species you typically expect to move during dark hours, but they apparently
will.

One other question that came up in the thread about night calling raptors, yes
many raptor species will call throughout the night. Of the species nests I have
monitored over the years I have heard Osprey, Peregrine Falcons, Bald Eagles,
Golden Eagles, and Kestrels calling at night (in many cases in the middle of
the night).

Best,
Mike

Michael Lanzone
mlanz...@gmail.com

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Ted Floyd <tfl...@aba.org> wrote:

>Hi, all.
>
>Here's a paper with some relevance to the current
discussion:

>Decandido,
R., R. O. Bierregaard, Jr., M. S. Martell, and K. L. Bildstein. 2006. Evidence
of nocturnal migration by Osprey (Pandionhaliaetus) in North America and
Western
Europe. Journal
of Raptor Research 40:156–158.

>Ted Floyd
>tfl...@aba.org
>
>Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado, USA
>

>________________________________
Robb
>Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 1:47 AM
>To: Michael
O'Brien
>Cc: Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes; NFC-L
>
>Subject: Re: [nfc-l] Night Migrating Raptors
>

>I have sometimes heard Peregrines while recording nocturnal
migration, and I know that SergeyGashkov in Tomsk, Siberia has also recorded
them. However, there is no guarantee that these Peregrines were migrating. Here
in Portugal, our Peregrines are resident. I have also seen at least one from
the
Arctic during the non-breeding season, and F p calidus are probably regular
migrants in small numbers. However, I would guess that the sounds I have heard
are from local birds interacting while hunting numerous migrating Turtle Doves,
with the help of streetlights or moonlight.

>cheers,
>

>Magnus
>

>On 2 Mar 2012, at 2:26:14, Michael O'Brien wrote:
>
>Chris,
>>

>>Those photos are amazing! And they brings up an interesting general  question
>>about nocturnal migration by raptors. How much do they move at night?  In
>>Cape May I see plenty of evidence of at least limited nocturnal movement.  We
>>regularly see American Kestrels, Sharp-shinned Hawks, and Northern Harriers
>>present in numbers (sometimes already high overhead) at first light when they
>> were not present the day before. Also I have seen Osprey and Peregrine head
>>out in apparent migration flight over Delaware Bay well after sunset. But the
>> only nocturnal flight call I have heard from a raptor was from an Osprey
>>which  gave acouple of "tew" calls overhead a good two hours before sunrise.
>>I wonder  if others have seen or heard evidence of nocturnal migration by
>>raptors.
>>

>>thanks,
>>Michael
>>

>>Michael  O'Brien
>>Victor  Emanuel Nature Tours
>>www.ventbird.com
>>
>>________________________________

    T-H

>>>--
>>>Christopher  T. Tessaglia-Hymes
>>>TARU  Product Line Manager and Field Applications Engineer
>>>Bioacoustics  Research Program, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
>>>159  Sapsucker Woods Road, Ithaca, New York 14850
>>>W: 607-254-2418   M: 607-351-5740   F: 607-254-1132
>>>http://www.birds.cornell.edu/brp
>>>

>>>--
>>>NFC-L List  Info:
>>>Welcome and  Basics
>>>Rules and  Information
>>>Subscribe, Configuration and  Leave
>>>Archives:
>>>The Mail Archive
>>>Surfbirds
>>>BirdingOnThe.Net
>>>Please  submit your observations to eBird!
>>>--
>>
>>--
>>Christopher  T. Tessaglia-Hymes
>>TARU  Product Line Manager and Field Applications Engineer
>>Bioacoustics  Research Program, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
>>159  Sapsucker Woods Road, Ithaca, New York 14850
>>W: 607-254-2418   M: 607-351-5740   F: 607-254-1132
>>http://www.birds.cornell.edu/brp
>>
>>--
>>Welcome and  Basics
>>Rules and  Information
>>Subscribe, Configuration and  Leave
>>Archives:
>>The Mail Archive
>>Surfbirds
>>BirdingOnThe.Net
>>Please submit your observations to eBird!
>>--
>>--
>>Welcome and  Basics
>>Rules and  Information
>>Subscribe,  Configuration and Leave
>>Archives:
>>The Mail  Archive
>>Surfbirds
>>BirdingOnThe.Net
>>Please submit your observations to eBird!
>>--
>
>--
>Welcome and
Basics
>Rules and
Information
>Subscribe,
Configuration and Leave
>Archives:
>The Mail
Archive
>Surfbirds
>BirdingOnThe.Net
>Please submit your observations to eBird!
>--
>--
>Welcome and Basics
>Rules and Information
>Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
>Archives:
>The Mail Archive
>Surfbirds
>BirdingOnThe.Net
>Please submit your observations to eBird!
>--

Welcome and Basics
Rules and Information
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave