Chris- Thank you for your neat observations, and the pictures.  I want to share a similar observation with you.

When leading a birding trip to Yucatan for Audubon in late February 1976 I encountered apparently migrant Swallow-tailed Kites coming off the Gulf at Rio Lagartos.  We were walking east along the beach at what is now the Ria Lagartos Natural Area.  Just at dawn we saw one, then two, then one kite flying SSW from the open water toward land.  We recorded the observations in our field notes, but have no pictures.

This observation would seem consistent with your observations at sea.  If they had left the Cuban shore (nearest land?), they would have started about 100 miles away.  If we used an average speed of 15mph  (sheer guess), that would be a 7 hour flight.  This speculation is just a BOTE guess that even starting at nightfall they could have been flying all night.  If they started further away, or traveled more slowly, even starting during daylight would have put them at the coast of Yucatan at daylight.         -TATE

James Tate, Jr., Ph.D. | Research Associate |
Smithsonian Institution Migratory Bird Center |
National Zoological Park |
T 202-841-2056 | Email j...@tate-tate.us

James Tate, Jr. | Senior Fellow and Director |
Ecological Economics and Ethics Program |
Potomac Institute for Policy Studies |
Ballston Metro Center Office Tower |
901 N. Stuart Street, Suite 200, Arlington, VA 22203
Washington, DC 20007
T 202-841-2056| Email: jt...@potomacinstitute.org

James Tate, Jr. | Second Vice President
Eastern Bird Banding Association.