Very cool observation! Swallow-tailed kites are known to migrate at night over water between Florida and Cuba. See the linked thesis by Gina Zimmerman who tracked kites with satellite and radio transmitters.
http://www.bio.georgiasouthern.edu/bio-home/chandler/Zimmerman.pdf

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeffrey Buler, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Wildlife Ecology

Department of Entomology & Wildlife Ecology

University of Delaware

246 Townsend Hall

Newark, DE, USA 19716

Office: 302-831-1306