Save the grief and rebuild it. If it's pitted real bad, replace it. You don't 
need trouble there.

--- On Fri, 10/23/09, bull city <[email protected]> wrote:

From: bull city <[email protected]>
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: 83 550 clutch will not engage.
To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, October 23, 2009, 4:17 PM


so I took off the slave, lots of crust(dried fluid) on the outside of
the piston. The fluid has obviously been leaking for 6 years.. I
pumped the clutch a few times and the piston wouldn't budge. my
question is, should I try to get some more fluid in there to see if
the piston will move, or should I go ahead and try to rebuild it and
stop wasting time trying to save a few bucks?



On Oct 23, 1:47 pm, DANNY DOLAN <[email protected]> wrote:
> you know you should check because some of those systems have certain corks
> like i had a 81 kawi that you had to take the slave off and hold the slave
> at 45degrees before it would bleed sucks bleed that thing ten times it
> wouldnt work after new clutch and then found that out tried it it worked so
> sometimes man. a good thing also just because systems bled doesnt mean
> clutch springs arent stuck or rusted in one pos. good luck though its hard
> without being there to look at it
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Dennis Hammerl <[email protected]> wrote:
> >   The clutch hydraulic system has air in it. Bleeding a clutch is no fun.
> > Remove the slave cylinder and clamp it to prevent it from moving out. Do not
> > compress it, just retain it. When it can't move outward, the air can be
> > bled.
> > # the clutch assembly is not like a brake, a brake will lock up, clutch
> > does not. By clamping it you give the piston something solid to push against
> > and develop a pressure.
> > Try this first and if no success, get back to me. There are further methods
> > to bleed off air.
>
> > --- On *Thu, 10/22/09, bull city <[email protected]>* wrote:
>
> > From: bull city <[email protected]>
> > Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] 83 550 clutch will not engage.
> > To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" <[email protected]>
> > Date: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 2:43 PM
>
> > Got the new bike and I am going through to get everything
> > functioning.
>
> > The brakes were locked, I took them off, pressed the piston back in,
> > flushed with new fluid and they seem to be doing well. I plan on
> > rebuilding them as soon as I get everything functioning. No point in
> > spending money on something before assessing the whole bike.
>
> > The clutch: the master cylinder was pretty much dry. The clutch wound
> > not engage and there was no resistance on the lever. So I flushed the
> > system with new brake fluid. The bleed hose was coming out clear and I
> > was getting a lot pushed out with every squeeze. But- I never got any
> > resistance on the lever, the clutch would still not engage. What
> > should I look for next?
>
> > I haven't started the bike yet and no battery is hooked up at the
> > moment.
>
> > Thanks-




      
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to