Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. Got the new shifter yesterday and all
is well now. Gears shift, no transmission issues. I might have rode to work
today but it's a sauna out there and I can't wear gear in this crap.

When I went down I put the headlights out of whack and there was dirt in
there. Turned on the bike (at night) and the headlights seemed to be
pointing to the damned sky. I tried to adjust by removing it, but could not
figure out how to change the vertical angle. Any thoughts?