Hi Graham.  Got home from work and did some digging. I too have 9 volts at
headlight when key is turned on and bike not running. You could try to
ground by probing the backside of headlight plug and ground to frame. I
would think that should make it come on? If it is a ground issue

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nighthawk_lovers/CAPuX%2BfweVm-NchFH9NcKDqA2%2B9NhVEK3RnQy%3DstAFCPb%3DM6g1g%40mail.gmail.com.