Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
> If the phone company / DSL provider has their termination equipment in
> your backyard, you should be able to get 24 Mbit DSL (provided it is
> DSL2+).  If it is "nearby" then you may get 16 Mbit, then speeds drop
> with distance out to 0.5 Mbit at about 3 miles.  Find out where
> exactly the termination point would be, measure the line of sight
> distance from there to your house and add 50%.  That should give you
> an idea of expected speeds.
>
> Andy

I could literally throw a stone from my porch to the Bellsouth building
that services my DSL but can't being up anything faster than the second
slowest on their Fastaccess website. I'm sure it's just bad data in
their system but not sure who to talk to to get it corrected, especially
since I actually buy the DSL from a different provider (Butler.net).

In my own experience, I have found the DSL very reliable and speed is
rarely ever an issue for me. I think from what I've read of the Comcast
experience, I would find it very frustrating. And as for the port
blocking... No thanks.

Rich