On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:41 PM, Michael Chaney <[email protected] > wrote:
> FWIW, I set up FreeTDS a few years ago to access a SQL server db at a > client's facility using the ports collection on FreeBSD and found it > to be pretty easy. It's a two-parter - you have to build odbc as well > as FreeTDS, and then use odbc as your connection. The only aspect of > it that is difficult is dealing with two sets of config files. But it > works, and requires nothing but login credentials from the SQL server > side. > > Michael > -- > Michael Darrin Chaney, Sr. > [email protected] > http://www.michaelchaney.com/ FreeTDS wasn't as bad as the FAQ made out to get installed and working. If you live in the GUI, the warnings might be slightly appropriate. If you know what "configure, make, make install" means, then it's easy. Thank goodness I shouldn't need DBD::Sybase. I just saw the missing features list if you use it with FreeTDS. Almost all the programs I have (lots) use the ?-style placeholder which is not supported. One thing I'm still not seeing, a way to specify a default database for each FreeTDS ODBC server. It says for Sybase SQL Anywhere the database's name must be dataserver's name. The "instance" parameter didn't sound exactly like it, and specifying it, FreeTDS didn't connect. Any idea on specifying by server what the default database name is? Paul Boniol -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NLUG" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en
