Hmmm... That is what I get for being several hours behind.

See if this helps:

http://members.toast.net/strycher/perl/example_dbi_sql.htm

You may still have some firewall issues to look at.

Dave


On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 09:15 -0500, David R. Wilson wrote:
> Hello Paul,
> 
> You didn't mention which database flavor.  One that might help is:
> http://dbi.perl.org/
> 
> Have you tried "perl database" on Google?
> 
> One book that I found helpful was "Programming the Perl DBI" by Tim
> Bunce.
> 
> http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565926998
> 
> If your using MySQL or PostGreSQL you will probably have to look at
> enabling the network interface and passing data through the firewall.
> 
> Is the database on a Windows or Linux box?
> 
> Dave
> 
> 
> 
> On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 21:54 -0500, Paul Boniol wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out a relatively easy to set up, low-cost/free
> > way for Perl programs on Linux to access a SQL Server database.
> > 
> > 
> > Running Perl programs on Windows, everything uses ODBC since is freely
> > available and easy to set up in the OS.
> > 
> > 
> > Easysoft had popped up a the top of my search ... They hide the price
> > well.  At the current exchange rate it's around $1,300.  Let's just
> > say that's definitely the wrong neighborhood.  (From comments I read
> > elsewhere, it sounds like there's a server and client piece which
> > wouldn't work either since I don't manage the server.)
> > 
> > 
> > FreeTDS sounds good, but even the FAQ says it is difficult to set up
> > and there isn't a package (at least not in my distro's repositories).
> > 
> > 
> > I've got DBVisualizer-6.5.12 which uses the jTDS driver (jdbc) to
> > access the DB and is running fine on Linux.  I've looked into using it
> > a bit, but to use it with Perl it sounded rather complicated to set up
> > as well.
> > 
> > 
> > Any suggestions on what direction I should focus my time?
> > 
> > 
> > Paul Boniol
> > 
> > -- 
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "NLUG" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nlug-talk
> > [email protected]
> > For more options, visit this group at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en
> 


-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"NLUG" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk?hl=en

Reply via email to